Sexual harassment made me abandon acting for a while — Sotayo Sobola

Sotayo-Sobola
In a recent interview with VanguardNgr,,,,,,,

Beautiful Nollywood actress, Sotayo Sobola speaks on why she steps out of the movie 

industry. She disclosed that sexual harrasment actually made her abadon the industry.

 Read what she said about who enjoy sex most, having tattoo, and sex in Nollywood.

Can you kiss a girl in a movie?

Kissing a girl in a movie, I don’t know if I can. I’m always careful when it comes to picking my scripts. I ask them I hope there’s no kissing scene? If there’s a kissing scene I tell them I can’t do it.
Can you do something like a moaning scene in the bedroom?
Yes I can, sure I can. Why can’t I? It’s not like I’m doing sex for real so it’s just for me to make the sound and all that. I think I did that some couple of weeks back in a movie..



Who do you feel enjoys sex more, men or women?

Both of them, I wouldn’t say men or women. It depends on the part or the side it’s coming from and where your mind is set. I wouldn’t say it’s the lady or the man
Because some women act as if sex is evil, like it’s just for childbirth?
Don’t mind them, they are just pretenders. Most people pretend to hate sex when they actually enjoy it than most others.

Is having tattoos not a wild thing to do?

Well, for me, I love tattoos, so I decided to go out and get few ones. I don’t think it makes anybody wild. If you’re trying to look down on some people for the fact that they’ve got tattoos, I think you’re off point because some don’t have tattoos on them and they’re very evil. Tattoos have nothing to do with someone being wild or not.
Apart from the tattoo on your arm, do you have any hidden tattoos?
My tattoos are not hidden, I have got just 3; one on my left arm, my right leg then behind my right shoulder
You were seen in a photo shoot smoking a cigarette, do you smoke?
I don’t smoke, that was just an electronic cigarette. What I did was a photo shoot with an e-cigarette to see how it would turn out.

We’ve been hearing of sexual harassment in Nollywood, has anyone ever harassed you sexually?

Sotayo-Sobolaa
It is normal. That sexual harassment thing I keep hearing it every time. Sexual harassment is everywhere, not just in Nollywood, it happens everywhere even in Churches and Mosques. It now depends on you to make a decision if you want to buy into it or not.

Has anyone ever harassed you before?
Yes o, except I want to lie. That was a long time ago, like in 2004; it has happened to me before but I’m not going to mention names. I know one day I’m going to run into that person and look straight into his eyes again
Can we share your experience?
I’ll give you an example. You’ve been cast for a role, you’ve been given the role and the next thing you hear is: ‘If you know you can’t come and meet me in my hotel room or come and date me then you should bring back my script’. It was part of the reason why I stopped acting English movies. I just stopped acting and went to complete my education. I had a diploma in Law from Lagos State University and got my first degree in Public Administration from Onabisi Onabanjo University. Because of sexual harassment I just stopped everything that had to do with entertainment. I was so discouraged.
You’re being casted for a role and because you refused to sleep with a producer or something, next minute you won’t even know, you’ll just hear that they’ve started shooting the job or they ask you to bring back the script for someone else.

Do you know anybody that has gotten a role by sleeping with a producer?

So many, I’m not going to mention names but it happens every day. Some did it successfully and some failed. Some did it and dropped it and some are still doing it, so, it’s a normal thing.